Trinity: The First School To Offer Free Apologetics/Theology Graduate Distance Programs
Question: Is Trinity accredited by U.S. Department of Education and the Council on Higher education Accreditation (CHEA)?
Answer: Accreditation is a national phenomenon, with government-recognized private accrediting institutions accrediting schools within the country in which they are situated. Since the U.S. Department of Education and the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) are American agencies, they are related to accreditation of only educational institutions in USA. They have no jurisdiction over educational institutions such as Trinity which are situated outside the USA. Theological schools in India are accredited by Government-approved private Indian accreditors such as ICAATS.
Students often ask us if we are government-recognized and whether we are accredited so that they might be able to get a job in USA or be able to transfer credits to another institution in the USA. Often these questions represent a misunderstanding about Theological Schools and their standing with the government. Kindly notice the following about this:
1. Accreditation is not equivalent to direct "Government Recognition". To the best of our knowledge, the US government does not get into recognizing Theological Schools.
2. According the CHEA website (http://www.chea.org/public_info/index.asp#what∞)
"In the U.S., the accreditors are private, nongovernmental organizations created for the specific purpose of reviewing higher education institutions and programs for quality."
3. The same is the case with Theological Schools in India, where the secular government does not get involved in accrediting Theological Degrees. Accreditation has to take place through private but government-registered accrediting agencies meant for Theological Education.
4. There are several government-registered accrediting agencies for Theological Schools in India. These are BTESS [Theologically Radical], ATA [Loosely Evangelical], NAPTI [Pentecostal], ICAATS [Theologically Conservative] www.ICAATS.org.in
5. Trinity School is fully accredited by ICAATS [International Council for Accrediting Alternate and Theological Studies] which is a government-recognized private Christian agency.
6. This guarantees that the courses offered by Trinity School meet exceptionally high standards.
7. Accreditation by any agency anywhere only guarantees the quality of education, and nothing more. It does not guarantee admission to all schools, nor does it guarantee job placement in government agencies.
8. If your primary concern is a government job or admission in another school, you should approach them to see if they accept ICAATS accredited degrees.
9. Trinity can guarantee only an international quality education, and nothing that is beyond our preview. There is no accrediting agency that is accepted by educational institutions or employers uniformly throughout the world. Each educational institution and employer sets their own criteria for these things.
10. Non-Indian students can request a notarized document about mandate of ICAATS which they can use in their countries when they seek an admission of a job. This will guarantee that the prospective school or employer knows about our legal standing.